Thursday 23 October 2014

Fish baked in milk with preserved lemons.

This isn't a hugely precise recipe since I cook mostly on intuition. I have no idea how many minutes a slice of fish takes to cook- I generally just know based on smell and gut feelings. I generally bake around 180-220C. 
If a packet tells M to bake for half an hour at 185C, he will set a timer and bake at 185C for half an hour. 
M is probably a better assembler of dinners than me. He will have everything ready and hot on the table at 7pm. However, give him a new oven, new receipe, or even having to bake two different trays at the same time and he will struggle. 


I'm more adaptable. I can make a delicious meal over an open fire or in a new oven, and I can cook outside of my comfort zone. Sometimes my dinners might run a bit late. I burn less food. I can bake cakes, M burns them. I figured out our bread maker on my first try, M struggled for many goes. M can make a better damper than me (which is weird since he can't bake a cake). But you can probably expect a higher standard of meal with M. So it probably evens out in the end. 

Anyways. This is something you could probably involve a helpful 4 year old in preparing. Sure, there is hot stuff happening, but the milk isn't TOO hot- it's not deep frying hot, so that's something.

You will need: 
Fish.
Tabasco sauce.
Parsley. 
Pepper. 
Preserved lemons. 
Shallot/ French onion.
Milk.
Thickening agent of choice ie cornflour. 

Chop up your shallots. Add to saucepan. Add milk. Turn heat on low and stir. Add pepper, parsley, two preserved lemon slices and Tabasco. Let it gently simmer away while you do other stuff- I was washing and cutting potatoes to boil for mash, which is what I served it with. You could also serve this with rice. Once the milk is warm, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Don't let the milk boil. That's never good. Add cornflour to thicken mixture. Remember, when the fish cooks, it will release liquid so this sauce will only get runnier. That said don't go too crazy. You can always thicken it up later- just a bit tricker once it has fish in there. 

Arrange fish slices in a deep baking tray. Pour the milk sauce over the whole thing. Bake till the fish are done. I love preserved lemons, so I added three, but that might be a bit much for most people.

And no, I don't have photos because I'm a terrible food photographer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...