Saturday 11 January 2014

Oh this thing?


Oh yeah, this thing? Had it for ages. Willow is insanely fond of it and went through a period of asking me to marry her so she could get a ring. I will love you until all the leaves fall off the trees, she promises. She wants a wedding with lot of flowers. Eventually, M gave her a ring- one of those $2 ones, from the vending machine- and she's just so, so happy. She likes to tell people how M gave her a ring in the fish and chip shop, and she's so happy. But anyways, that is old news.

Engagement FAQS:
WHEN IS THE WEDDING?
I don't know. Eventually. Maybe. After we save up and buy a house.

WHEN DID YOU GET ENGAGED WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?
Back in may, and sorry. I expected social media and word of mouth to spread the word.

Have you picked a dress?
Yes and no. I've eyeballed some dresses I like, but I haven't purchased anything. I've also eyeballed some vintage dress designs.

Where will you have the reception?
At all you can eat pizza hut.

(As a little boy M told his mother "if I ever get married, I want to have the reception at all you can eat Pizza Hut." His mum told me the story and I laughed, because M totally still does want to have it there. I have fond memories of childhood birthday parties spent there too, so... hey, why not? Plus, we're both pigs, who can eat our body weight in melted cheese. We've agreed that if we elope, we will go there afterwards.)

While M and I are both really talkative, we are also both hideously shy. We both like the idea of "getting married" but is it possible to get married with no one watching you? And do we really have to sit up there on a table all by ourselves? And do we have to DANCE in front of everyone? Do I really have to walk down the aisle while everyone stares at me? Do I have to EAT sitting on a stage in front of everyone? Oh god please no.

We're thinking a backyard wedding, with BBQ after. Or we might elope. There's definitely that.

Are you going to elope?/ Why don't you two elope?
Mark is convinced that my parents will kill him, and he doesn't want to disappoint his mother. Also, I don't see the point of dressing up fancy if no one is going to see me, so we might as well go to the registry office.... and if we go to the registry office, it's still like $500 to get married. So in our minds, we might as well spend a grand or two on getting married at home.

Did he get down on bended knee?
No.

Did M pick the ring?
No, I did. Because we're romantic like that. Also, it was the worst shopping experience of our lives, because I was all "I want a relativity cheap ring, because I'm hardly going to wear it since I have to take it off for most jobs and activities, and once I get married I'll probably just wear that band. I hate wearing two rings on the same finger and I hate the look, plus I don't see the point in an expensive ring," while M was all "I already purchased her an expensive phone. And I pay for all her stuff. Also, she looses a lot of crap."

Jewelers and their staff are a really judgmental bunch. One jeweler memorably told M "Oh, she'll LOVE this ring! It's a ring she'll be really proud to show off to her friends."

No. That's not who I am. 

How much did it cost?
I'm not going to tell you. Oh, I'm not ashamed of what we (ok, M) paid, but it's more the uncomfortable feeling of bragging. Or worse, the thinly veiled look of pity. What the hell guys? Why is there is idea that M needs to spend $5000 on a ring to prove his love to me?
Especially since I stated that I wanted a cheap ring, and everyone has a different idea of what cheap is. So yeah.

How did he propose?
Romantically.

Were you surprised?
Nope. Because months ago, M was all "I wanted to propose to you in the first week you were down here, but I didn't want to seem too keen."
Also, I knew it was going to happen in my first week down here, because M isn't subtle.

Can I be your bridesmaid?
Maybe. Unless you expect me to pay for you dress, than no.

What does Willow think? How does she feel about M in her life?
She's three. Mark buys her fun stuff and sneaks her lollies and takes her to the movies. She adores him and worships the ground he walks on and cries when he goes away. She mimics him so much, and I think my heart might explode from the cuteness and love I have for both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...