Tuesday 19 March 2013

New year goals #64

64.Tell willow stories. Lots and lots of stories.



We read at least a book a day. Normally two. Willow had LOTS of books in Darwin, but I had to be really selective in what I brought down with me due to the weight of books. I'm tempted to say that the ones I choose to bring down with us makes them the creme de la creme of her collection.... but that's not really fair. Some got left behind because Willow wasn't into them, or she liked them but she had grown out of them, like touch and feel books. Some got left behind because I didn't like them, or like the art work, or simply because I had to be totally ruthless about what I could bring. There are three I really wish I had brought with me, that I didn't. I left them out, meaning to pack them at the last minute... Oh well.

There is a lovely second hand bookstop that we go to, and the lady there always gives Willow a book to take home. We try to get Willow Australian themed books... I had the horrors last week because I realized we don't have Possum Magic! (Nor do we have the Very Hungry Caterpillar. Oh dear.)

Here's some of Willow's current collection. I think it'll be interesting to do this again in a year's time, don't you think?  (Her Easter ones and Christmas ones are packed away for now.)


There was an Old Bloke Who Swallowed a Chook- The Australian version of one of my favorite rhymes. I picked this one up in Grafton when it was raining and I hadn't brought any books with me. By the time we left Grafton my mother was ready to burn it, I am sure.
One very tired wombat- I love this book more than Willow does.
Come Fly With Captian Kangaroo- Can you tell I'm trying to keep Willow's library well stocked with Australian books?
Mulga Bill's Bicycle- Willow seems to like stories that fall into a rythem, like "There was a Bloke Who Swallowed a Chook." I really want to get a Bush Christening, which is my favorite Paterson tale, and the Man From Snowy River. Willow doesn't seem too keen on this book.
Willow and the treasure hunt. My parent's got this for Willow. The first time I read it to Willow she was outraged and said "That's not Willow, I'M Willow!" Also, Willow wombat is a boy.
Stellaluna- Who DOESN'T love Stellaluna? Willow loves dressing up as Stellaluna, so I'm eyeballing this bat mask and wing set as a Christmas gift for her.
10 Little Fingers and 10 Little Toes- this one is so sweet it chokes me up a bit. Plus again with Willow seeming the like the rhyme and rythem.


The Echinda Leaves Home- There's no point reading it has a hedgehog, since Willow's seen an echinda, and knows what an echinda is... and who cares about european animals, anyway? Pfft. This book is from Ikea, so a lot of her hand and finger puppets feature in this story, including her favorite toy, Foxy.
One Minute Greek Myths- Because you're never too young to start on a classical education. This is one of my old books.
The Sign of the Seahorse. This is a story for adults. Or to read over several nights to children. There is a lot of reading in this, and it's all rhyming. M and I have never actually read this to Willow. If she ever asked it, the book would quickly go the way of "There's a hair in my dirt!" (Hidden at the back of my cupboard.) Graeme Base is amazing, and I'd like to get more of his books.
Little Bear is Ill. Since Willow loves playing doctor/ hypochondriac, she loves this book.
10 Green Crocs Sitting on the Wall. Again.... with the whole rhyme and rythem thing.
Avocado Baby- Because avocados are good for you, and I have high expectations of getting Willow to enjoy this slimy tasteless fruit.


Toffee takes a nap- Christmas gift from M's mother.
The Velveteen Rabbit- one of my old ones. Willow enjoys it.
Tasman Turtle- My parents got this for me when we went to Tasmania in 1998, I think.
Numbers: I got this one down here. It's very well put together.
That's Dangerous!- Willow likes this one.
ABC: This whole series is very well done. M and I are trying to teach Willow her letters and numbers.
In the Bath: I got this from Newtown last year. Willow loves pulling it apart to see what's hiding between the pages.
The Dino Race: M loves this book more than Willow. He loves making the eyes move and making silly noises. I like that it names the dinosaurs by proper names, not calling them "long neck dinosaur" or "flying dinosaur."
Sea Creatures: Another gift from M's mother.
That's not your mummy anymore- a gift from a good friend who knows what I love. Willow loves this book. M worries it's too gory for her.


The very busy spider- Willow still loves this book.
Busiest Fire Fighter's ever- On a random note, Willow loves to ride up and down her bike, pretending to be a lady fire engine.
Chipmunks ABC: Willow's still learning ALL her letters. We're getting there. I hope to have her recognise all her letters before the end of the year, and all her numbers up to somewhere in the teens. This is a goal for me, not for her... Because I'm the one who needs to set aside some time every day to go over this with her. Oh time. I need to learn how to live off six hours sleep, otherwise I'm going to turn into a harridan.
Paddington Bear: I love Paddington.

Sometimes I look at her collection and I feel bad. I feel like I should get her more books, because everyone else seems to have more books than Willow. But eventually, I realise we're doing ok. We have enough. Not just with books, but everything around the house. We don't have every book or toy or gadget under the planet. But we don't waste what we do have. We are not grand, but at least we are not cluttered or cramped or dirty. We're doing ok. Things get read and used and doesn't get much of a chance to collect dust or to be forgotten about. It's easy to keep our place tidy, and Willow is never bored. Willow doesn't ask for more books, and she seems happy with what we do have. She has her favourites that are in high rotation. Her favourite part though, isn't being read to every night. She loves it when I lie beside her in bed and we chat. Often she'll play with my hair. But we chat about whatever it is that Willow feels like talking about, and I look at her, and I'm amazed at all the growing she's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...