Monday 18 March 2013

New year #48

48. Make Willow a play kitchen. Somehow. Somewhere.

So, it happened peeps. Our low cost play kitchen for Willow. We don't have a lot of money for a play kitchen, plus we don't have a lot of room. Plus you know me well enough that going out and buying something cheap and awful wasn't an option.

Would you like to have a look?


CAN YOU SEE IT? There's no built in storage in Willow's room, so this large bookcase serves as her wardrobe, as a room divider (my study is on the other side), as her bookcase, our linen cupboard, toy holder... and play kitchen. Can you see what's on the shelf with the saucepan?


And no, they're not monster eyes. Yeah. So one day, it occurred to me that I could just draw some hot plates on some red paper and blu- tack them down. These are so badly drawn I feel like they don't belong online, but keeping it real guys. Willow doesn't seem to like it any more or any less then the fancier play kitchen she had in Darwin. Sometimes we bring in her all purpose wooden stool/ table and shift a hot plate to that, so she has more cooking room.


At the back of her kitchen, for some reason, live these gnomes that I gave her. I got them from the flying penguin in Sydney, which is one of my favorite shops. They were plain, so I drew the little faces on them. They also serve double duty as "medicine" when Willow plays doctor. I'm not sure if now they are kitchen gods in the Asian tradition... or condiments.


Some of Willow's play food you might recall from this post or this one, back when Willow was still a tiny baby in a play gym, and she used to bat at the tomato with her hands, rattle the pea, or cuddle and suck on the bean. I do feel like it's a pretty sad play food collection because the lamington and the fish are the only thing there that didn't grow on a plant. I have plans to add a wooden sushi set and more sweet goods... Perhaps when Christmas rolls around.


Come and see us sometime. We can't offer you tea and cake, but Willow is happy to serve you tea with asparagus, lemon and fish. Which is healthier for you, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...